Reliability of the Bible
The Bible is the most reliable
collection of writings in human history. There is no other document
that even comes close to the plethora of ancient copies that the
Bible has supporting it. Both the Old and New Testaments have a
ridiculous amount of evidence supporting their reliability compared
to other ancient historical documents.
Determining Reliability of Ancient
When determining the reliability of an ancient
document, histories ask a few important questions:
- Dating of the Text: How close to the
original date of authorship are the available copies?
- Number of Copies: How many ancient
copies do we have? How accurate are they compared to each other?
- Outside Sources: Can the ancient text
be validated from outside sources that quoted the manuscript?
Reliability of the Bible: Old Testament
In the 1940's when the Dead Sea
Scrolls were discovered, it included multiple copies of the virtually
every Old Testament book of the Bible, all dated prior to the
beginning of Christianity.
This discovery answered an important
question that had been asked by both the non-religious and religious:
Is the current Bible the same as the ancient Bible?
What was discovered was that the
Christian Church had preserved the Old Testament with basically
perfect accuracy. Minor misspellings in the ancient text, or omission
of non-essential words, were the only minor differences. Over
95% of the entire text was exactly the same with the other 5% being
misspellings, differences in word order, and minor omissions of insignificant words,
However, in terms of copies and
quotations from outside sources, the New Testament has even more evidence supporting its reliability than the Old Testament.
Reliability of the Bible: New Testament
The New Testament has thousands of
ancient copies in multiple languages that support its reliability.
only that, but the New Testament was quoted by so many early
Christian writers that it could easily be reconstructed simply from
the quotations. The primary issue with the New Testament has never been
reliability. Even the existence of Jesus Christ is not a matter of question.
His existence is confirmed in the texts of non-biblical
The real question is not
whether the New Testament is reliable, or whether Jesus
existed. The real question is whether it is true about what it says
regarding Jesus Christ.
The New Testament is a collection of numerous
authors who collectively make very bold claims about God, Jesus
Christ, and other religious subjects such as salvation.
The real question that needs to be
considered: Is what the Bible says about Jesus true?
Further readings from outside sources:
← Back to Evidence-Based Faith from Reliability of the Bible
← Back to Christian Questions and
Go to Messiah of God Home
The complex biology of the ‘basic cell’ exhibits what has been termed ‘irreducible complexity’ by biochemist Michael Behe, due to the fact that removing even...
What is love? It's a call to action. Guest post by Ben Byrum.
If you have stage 4 pancreatic cancer, then with current medical technology you have likely not been given any hope for getting better. Your cancer is terminal. In fact, with many diseases...
Probability of the Universe Existing in Coin Flips: Flipping a coin has a 50/50 chance of heads vs tails. How many times do you think you could flip heads in a row with a 50/50 chance?
Wildfires in Tennessee have temporarily displaced thousands of people fleeing from the destruction. Over 100 homes have been destroyed, as well as hotels and businesses. Thus far, seven people...
Obeying God's will is actually more simple than it seems. The truth is that some actions are good (holy), some actions are bad (sinful), and the majority of actions are completely neutral...
Having God answer your prayers can result in overwhelming feelings of joy, relief, and thankfulness. However, sometimes doubt of God's intervention can appear and begin to steal your confidence...
For unbelievers, there are only a few ways to prove that God exists, depending on how willing they are to accept God's existence. For unbelievers who are...
Sanctification is a widely accepted belief that bridges the gap between the biblical mandate for obedience to God and the practical application of living a Christian life as...
"Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect." One of the problems with modern Christianity is the mainstream concept that "It is impossible to be perfect."